Enjoy the flavors of Northern Thailand with this authentic Kao Soi recipe. Learn how to make this creamy, aromatic curry dish perfect for any occasion.
Kao Soi is a classic Northern Thai dish combining creamy, spicy curry with soft egg noodles. Made with a fragrant blend of spices, coconut milk, and tender chicken, it’s a dish that’s packed with flavor and warmth. Traditionally served with pickled mustard greens, lime wedges, and crispy noodles, Kao Soi is a comforting and satisfying meal that’s perfect for any time of the year.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces (or use tofu for a vegetarian option)
- 2 tbsp. red curry paste
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp. fish sauce
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1 lb. fresh egg noodles or dried egg noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 cup pickled mustard greens (optional)
- 1 cup crispy noodles (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the red curry paste and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the chicken (or tofu) and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, chicken (or vegetable) broth, fish sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until the chicken is tender and the curry has thickened slightly.
- While the curry is simmering, prepare the egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- To serve, place a serving of noodles in a bowl and ladle the curry on top. Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve with pickled mustard greens and crispy noodles on the side (if using).
Tips and Tricks:
- For a vegetarian option, use tofu instead of chicken.
- If you prefer a thicker curry, let the mixture simmer for longer until the desired consistency is reached.
- Adjust the amount of curry paste and spices to suit your taste preferences.
- If you can’t find pickled mustard greens, try substituting with pickled jalapenos or a mixture of pickled vegetables.
Kao Soi is a delicious and comforting dish that’s easy to make at home with a few simple ingredients. The combination of creamy curry and soft egg noodles makes it a perfect meal for any time of the year. With a few simple tweaks, this recipe can be adapted to suit any taste preference, whether you’re looking for a vegetarian or gluten-free option or want to try a seafood or beef variation.
Great recipe! Tastes just like the real thing.
I love this recipe! It tastes just like the real thing. I’ve been searching for a good Northern Thai curry that I can actually bring to my house, and this is it!
Thanks so much for this recipe! I really appreciate it!
LikeLiked by 1 person