Learn how to make the classic Chinese takeout dish of Sweet and Sour Chicken with this easy recipe. Serve with rice and vegetables for a complete meal.
Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic Chinese takeout dish that is loved for its crispy chicken pieces and tangy sauce. While it may seem complicated, this recipe is easy to follow and yields a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- In a shallow dish, mix together the cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken pieces to the cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and cook until crispy and golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In the same skillet, add the bell peppers and sauté until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the pineapple chunks to the skillet and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, and water.
- Pour the sauce into the skillet with the bell peppers and pineapple and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the skillet and toss to coat in the sauce.
- Serve immediately with rice.
Tips and Tricks:
- Adjust the amount of brown sugar to your desired level of sweetness.
- Use fresh pineapple if possible for the best flavor.
- Add additional vegetables such as onions or carrots for more color and nutrition.
- Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts for a different texture.
- Add cashews or peanuts for a crunchy texture.
- Make a vegetarian version with tofu or tempeh instead of chicken.
Sweet and Sour Chicken is a classic Chinese takeout dish that is perfect for a quick and easy dinner. This recipe is easy to follow and yields a delicious and satisfying meal that will satisfy your craving for Chinese food.
Leave a Reply