Try this easy and delicious Som Tam recipe and elevate your salad game. Perfect as a refreshing side dish or a light lunch.
Som Tam, also known as green papaya salad, is a refreshing and spicy Thai salad made with shredded green papaya, chili, fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, tomatoes, and peanuts. It’s a perfect side dish or a light lunch that’s easy to make and bursting with flavors. This recipe will show you how to make an authentic and delicious Som Tam that will impress your guests.
- 1 small green papaya, peeled and shredded
- 2-3 Thai chilies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tbsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a large mortar and pestle or a mixing bowl, combine the chopped Thai chilies and garlic. Crush or mix them together until well combined.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and sugar to the bowl and mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the shredded green papaya to the bowl and mix well with the dressing.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes to the bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Add the chopped peanuts and cilantro leaves to the bowl and gently mix to combine.
- Serve the Som Tam immediately as a refreshing side dish or a light lunch.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a mortar and pestle for a more authentic texture, but a mixing bowl works just fine.
- Use a vegetable peeler or a mandoline to shred the green papaya.
- Adjust the amount of Thai chilies according to your spice tolerance.
- For a vegetarian version, substitute fish sauce with soy sauce.
- You can also add cooked shrimp or grilled chicken to the salad for a more substantial meal.
Som Tam is a refreshing and flavorful Thai salad that’s easy to make and bursting with flavors. With its spicy and sour dressing, shredded green papaya, and chopped peanuts, this salad will impress your guests and elevate your salad game.
Leave a Reply