Looking for a luxurious, creamy French dish? Try this Blanquette de Veau recipe. Tender veal, mushrooms, and pearl onions cooked to perfection in a velvety white sauce.
Blanquette de Veau is a classic French comfort food that is both luxurious and hearty. It’s a creamy and velvety dish that’s perfect for a cozy dinner party or a romantic meal for two. This traditional French recipe features tender veal, mushrooms, and pearl onions cooked to perfection in a white sauce. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll be able to create this beloved dish in your own kitchen.
- 2 lbs veal stew meat, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup pearl onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the veal, bay leaf, and thyme, and cook until the meat is browned on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken broth and white wine, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the pearl onions and mushrooms, and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig.
- Add the heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you’re short on time, you can use a pressure cooker to cook the veal in half the time.
- For a thicker sauce, add a little bit more flour.
- You can use chicken or vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- Blanquette de Veau is traditionally served with boiled potatoes or rice.
- For a healthier version, substitute heavy cream with Greek yogurt.
- Use chicken or beef instead of veal.
- Add more vegetables such as carrots, celery, or peas.
Blanquette de Veau is a classic French dish that is sure to impress your guests. This hearty and comforting meal is perfect for a cozy night in or for a special occasion. The tender veal, mushrooms, and pearl onions are perfectly cooked in a velvety white sauce that will have you coming back for seconds. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you’ll be able to create this beloved dish in your own kitchen. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed!
Leave a Reply