Learn how to make Cassoulet with this classic French recipe. A hearty bean stew with sausage and duck that is perfect for a comforting dinner.
Cassoulet is a classic French dish that originated in the Languedoc region of France. It is a hearty and comforting bean stew that is typically made with sausage and duck. This recipe is the perfect way to showcase the flavors of the French countryside and is perfect for a comforting dinner on a cold winter night.
- 1 pound cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 1 pound sausage, sliced
- 2 duck legs, skin removed
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside.
- Add the sausage and duck legs to the pot and cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove the sausage and duck legs from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, and garlic to the pot and cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the bay leaf, thyme, chicken stock, white wine, and tomato paste to the pot and stir to combine.
- Add the cannellini beans to the pot and stir to combine.
- Return the sausage, duck legs, and bacon to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the pot and bake in the oven for 2 hours.
- Remove the cover from the pot and sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
- Serve the Cassoulet hot with crusty bread.
Tips and Tricks:
- Soak the beans overnight to reduce cooking time.
- Use good-quality sausage and duck for the best flavor.
- Cook the bacon separately to keep it crispy.
- Use fresh herbs for the best flavor.
- Serve the Cassoulet with crusty bread for soaking up the broth.
- Vegetarian Cassoulet: Replace the sausage and duck with vegetables for a vegetarian version of this classic dish.
- Seafood Cassoulet: Replace the sausage and duck with seafood for a delicious twist on the classic recipe.
Cassoulet is a classic French bean stew that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. The combination of cannellini beans, sausage, and duck creates a unique and flavorful dish that is sure to impress your guests. This recipe is perfect for a comforting dinner on a cold winter night and is the perfect way to showcase the flavors of the French countryside.
Leave a Reply