Looking for a hearty and filling dinner? Try this spaghetti with meat sauce recipe, simmered for four hours to create a rich and flavorful sauce. Made with beef and sausage, it’s a crowd-pleaser.
Spaghetti with meat sauce is a classic dish that never goes out of style. This recipe takes it up a notch by using a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage to create a flavorful and hearty sauce that simmers for four hours. The long cooking time allows the flavors to meld together and creates a rich, homemade taste that’s perfect for a family dinner.
Growing up, this spaghetti with meat sauce was a staple in our family dinner rotation. It was our all-time favorite, and for good reason – the sauce is simply unbeatable. In fact, we used to love putting uncooked pasta into the sauce while it simmered and then pulling it out when it got soft, giving us a fun and tasty treat to snack on while we waited for dinner to be ready. This recipe brings back so many fond memories, and I’m excited to share it with you.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pound spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef and Italian sausage over medium-high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot.
- Let the sauce simmer for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- About 20 minutes before serving, cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain the spaghetti and toss it with the meat sauce.
- Serve the spaghetti with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use a combination of beef and pork Italian sausage for added flavor.
- Add in chopped vegetables such as bell peppers or mushrooms for added nutrition.
- Use a slow cooker to simmer the sauce for an even longer time, up to 8 hours, for an even richer flavor.
- Use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef for a leaner version.
- Add in your favorite herbs or spices, such as thyme or rosemary, for added flavor.
- Top the spaghetti with chopped fresh parsley or basil for added color and freshness.
This spaghetti with meat sauce recipe is a classic dish that’s perfect for a family dinner or gathering. Using a combination of ground beef and Italian sausage creates a rich and flavorful sauce that simmers for four hours to bring out the best in the ingredients. The result is a homemade taste that’s sure to please everyone at the table. Serve this dish with a side salad and some crusty bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Leave a Reply