Learn how to make Okonomiyaki, a classic Japanese dish that combines cabbage, pork, and batter to create a savory pancake. Perfect for dinner or a weekend brunch.
Okonomiyaki is a traditional Japanese dish that is often described as a savory pancake or Japanese pizza. The dish consists of a batter mixed with cabbage, pork, and other ingredients, which is then fried on a griddle or skillet. The name “Okonomiyaki” translates to “grilled as you like it,” as the dish can be customized with various toppings and sauces. In this recipe, we will show you how to make a classic and authentic Okonomiyaki from scratch.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sliced pork belly or bacon
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled ginger
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Okonomiyaki sauce (or Worcestershire sauce)
- 1/4 cup Aonori (dried seaweed flakes)
- 1/4 cup Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded cabbage, flour, water, and eggs. Mix well until the batter is smooth.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil.
- Add half of the cabbage mixture to the skillet and spread it out into a circle shape.
- Place the sliced pork belly or bacon on top of the cabbage, followed by the sliced green onions.
- Flip the Okonomiyaki over with a spatula and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer the Okonomiyaki to a serving plate and top with pickled ginger, mayonnaise, Okonomiyaki sauce, Aonori, and Katsuobushi.
- Repeat the process with the remaining cabbage mixture.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add your favorite toppings such as shrimp, octopus, or cheese to the Okonomiyaki.
- Cook the Okonomiyaki on low heat to ensure it is cooked through without burning.
- Use a non-stick skillet or griddle to make it easier to flip the Okonomiyaki.
- Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki: layer the ingredients and batter, starting with the cabbage, then the noodles, meat, and egg, and top with Okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, and green onions.
- Osaka-style Okonomiyaki: mix the ingredients together and cook the Okonomiyaki on both sides, then top with Okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, and bonito flakes.
Conclusion: Okonomiyaki is a popular and delicious dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. With this easy recipe, you can make an authentic and flavorful Okonomiyaki at home. By customizing the toppings and sauces, you can create a dish that suits your taste preferences. So, give this recipe a try and impress your friends and family with your Japanese cooking skills.
Leave a Reply