Shabu-Shabu is a classic Japanese hot pot dish that consists of thinly sliced meat, vegetables, and noodles cooked in a flavorful broth. Learn how to make this dish at home with our easy recipe.
Shabu-Shabu is a traditional Japanese hot pot dish that is perfect for sharing with friends and family. The dish consists of thinly sliced meat, vegetables, and noodles, cooked in a flavorful broth at the table. The name “Shabu-Shabu” comes from the sound of the ingredients being swished around in the pot. In this recipe, we will guide you through the process of making an authentic and delicious Shabu-Shabu at home.
- 1 pound thinly sliced beef (sirloin or rib-eye)
- 1 head of Napa cabbage, sliced
- 1/2 bunch of spinach
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
- 1 block of tofu, sliced
- 1 package of udon noodles
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 cups dashi broth
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Ponzu sauce or sesame sauce for dipping
- Arrange the sliced beef, cabbage, spinach, mushrooms, and tofu on a large platter.
- In a medium pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat and add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the sake, soy sauce, and dashi broth to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- Place the pot on a portable burner or hot plate in the middle of the table.
- Each person takes turns dipping the ingredients into the hot broth, using chopsticks or a wire mesh ladle.
- Serve the udon noodles on the side, cooked according to the package instructions.
Tips and Tricks:
- Add more vegetables such as carrots, enoki mushrooms, or bok choy to the hot pot.
- Dip the ingredients in the hot broth for only a few seconds to prevent overcooking.
- Serve with Ponzu sauce or sesame sauce for dipping.
- Sukiyaki-style Shabu-Shabu: use a sweeter broth made with soy sauce, mirin, and sugar.
- Kimchi-style Shabu-Shabu: add kimchi and gochujang to the broth for a spicy and tangy flavor.
Shabu-Shabu is a fun and interactive hot pot dish that is perfect for a cozy night in with friends or family. With this easy recipe, you can create an authentic and flavorful Shabu-Shabu at home. Customize the ingredients and dipping sauces to your liking and enjoy this delicious Japanese dish.
Leave a Reply