Indulge in the flavors of Mexico with this authentic Chiles Rellenos recipe. Learn how to make cheese-stuffed Poblano peppers coated in egg batter.
Chiles Rellenos is a classic Mexican dish that is sure to please anyone who loves Mexican cuisine. This dish consists of Poblano peppers that are stuffed with cheese, coated in egg batter, and then fried to perfection. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out in the kitchen, this recipe is easy to follow and produces delicious results.
- 6 large Poblano peppers
- 6 oz of cheese (Monterey Jack or Chihuahua cheese)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Tomato sauce, for serving (optional)
- Begin by roasting the Poblano peppers over an open flame until they are blackened on all sides. Place them in a plastic bag to steam for 10 minutes, then remove the skin, seeds, and stems.
- Cut a slit in each pepper and fill with cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat the egg yolks with the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper until smooth. Gently fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Dip each stuffed pepper into the batter and carefully place in the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with tomato sauce, if desired.
Tips and Tricks:
- To add a crispy texture, try adding breadcrumbs to the batter.
- For a meatier filling, you can also try stuffing the peppers with seasoned beef or chicken instead of cheese.
Conclusion: Chiles Rellenos is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any Mexican food lover. With just a few simple ingredients and a little bit of time, you can enjoy this classic dish right at home. Whether you serve it as a main dish or a side, Chiles Rellenos is sure to be a hit with everyone at the table. So, get ready to indulge in the flavors of Mexico and try this delicious Chiles Rellenos recipe today!