Experience the authentic taste of Mexico with this Al Pastor recipe. Perfectly seasoned and grilled meat, combined with fresh toppings, make for an irresistible treat.
Al Pastor is a popular and traditional Mexican dish that has taken the world by storm. It is a twist on the classic tacos and is made by marinating thinly sliced pork with a blend of spices, chilies, and pineapple. The juicy and flavorful meat is then grilled to perfection and served with fresh toppings on a soft corn tortilla. This dish is a true flavor explosion that will take your taste buds on a trip to Mexico.
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, thinly sliced
- 1 large pineapple, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 2 dried guajillo chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Fresh cilantro and lime, for serving
- Soak the dried chilies in boiling water for 30 minutes until they are soft.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the chilies and place them in a blender.
- Add the pineapple, garlic, cumin, oregano, paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper, vinegar, and orange juice to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the pork and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Skewer the pork and pineapple alternating between them.
- Brush the skewers with oil and place them on the grill.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, turning every 2 minutes, until the pork is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the Al Pastor on a warm corn tortilla, topped with the sliced onion, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
Tips and Tricks:
- You can also make Al Pastor in a grill pan or a stovetop griddle.
- Feel free to adjust the heat level to your liking by adding or reducing the amount of chilies in the marinade.
Making Al Pastor at home is not only easy, but also a lot of fun. The spicy and juicy meat, combined with the fresh toppings, make for an irresistible treat that will transport your taste buds to Mexico. Whether you’re looking for a quick weeknight dinner or a fun party dish, Al Pastor is the perfect choice. So, fire up your grill and let’s get started!
Leave a Reply