Learn how to make the perfect Vada Pav with this step-by-step recipe. Enjoy the delicious blend of spices, potatoes, and bread for a delicious snack.
Vada Pav is a popular street food of India, originating in the city of Mumbai. This delicious snack is a combination of deep-fried potato fritters (vadas) served between two slices of bread (pav) and topped with a variety of chutneys, spices, and vegetables. This dish is a perfect snack for any time of the day, and can be enjoyed as an appetizer or as a light meal.
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 8 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chutneys (coriander, mint, garlic, tamarind, etc.)
- Spices (chaat masala, sev, chopped onions, etc.)
- Boil the potatoes and peel the skin. Mash the potatoes and keep them aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the besan, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds. Add a little water to make a batter of medium consistency.
- In a pan, heat the oil. Make small balls out of the mashed potatoes and flatten them slightly. Dip each ball in the batter and deep-fry them until they turn golden brown.
- Toast the bread slices and apply butter on each slice.
- Place the vadas between two slices of buttered bread. Top with your favorite chutneys and spices.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use mashed potatoes that are not too moist; otherwise, the batter won’t stick to the vadas.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan while frying the vadas, as this will lower the temperature of the oil, and the vadas will not cook evenly.
- Serve the Vada Pav immediately, as the vadas and bread can get soggy if left to sit for too long.
- You can also use aloo bhaji instead of mashed potatoes.
- Instead of using bread, you can use pav buns.
Vada Pav is a delicious and filling snack that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It is easy to make and is perfect for a quick bite on the go. Whether you are in a hurry or just looking for a tasty snack, Vada Pav is a great option. Try this recipe and enjoy the delicious flavors of Mumbai street food at home!
Leave a Reply