Try this classic Indian dish with lentils and spices for a delicious and healthy meal. Our step-by-step Daal Makhani recipe is quick and easy to make.
Daal Makhani is a popular dish in Indian cuisine that is made with black urad dal (lentils) and kidney beans. The dish is flavored with various spices, including cumin, coriander, garam masala, and red chili powder, and is finished with a touch of cream.
In addition to its delicious taste, Daal Makhani is also a healthy dish. Lentils are a great source of protein, fiber, and a variety of vitamins and minerals. This makes Daal Makhani a great option for vegans and vegetarians, as well as anyone looking for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
- 1 cup black lentils (urad daal)
- 1/2 cup kidney beans
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- Water, as needed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (optional)
- Rinse and soak the black lentils and kidney beans overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Drain the soaked lentils and kidney beans and place them in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and let the lentils and beans simmer for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- While the lentils and kidney beans are cooking, prepare the tomato puree by blending together the chopped onion, tomato, ginger, and garlic until smooth.
- In a separate pan, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, coriander powder, garam masala, and red chili powder. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared tomato puree to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the puree has thickened.
- Add the cooked lentils and kidney beans to the pan and mix well. Add water as needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Allow the dish to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the flavors have melded together.
- Finish the dish with a touch of heavy cream, stirring it in until well combined (optional).
- Serve Daal Makhani with rice or roti, along with pickles and raita on the side.
- There are many variations of Daal Makhani, so feel free to get creative with your spices and ingredients.
- Tips for the perfect Daal Makhani include using fresh spices, using the right type of lentils, and letting the dish simmer for long enough to allow the flavors to develop.
There are many variations of Daal Makhani, so feel free to get creative with your spices and ingredients. Some tips for the perfect Daal Makhani include using fresh spices, using the right lentils, and letting the dish simmer for long enough to allow the flavors to develop.
In conclusion, Daal Makhani is a great dish to add to your recipe collection, whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out in the kitchen. So why not try it tonight and enjoy a delicious and healthy meal with your family and friends.
Leave a Reply