Discover the authentic Alsace-style pizza, Flammkuchen, with this easy and delicious recipe. Make it at home with step-by-step instructions and tips.
What is Flammkuchen
Flammkuchen is a traditional Alsatian dish, also known as Tarte Flambée, that resembles a thin-crust pizza. Originating from the Alsace region of France, Flammkuchen is a simple and delicious dish that can be made with a variety of toppings.
Flammkuchen has been a staple food in the Alsace region for centuries. It was originally made by farmers who would bake the thin dough on the walls of their wood-fired ovens. The toppings consisted of ingredients readily available on the farm, such as cheese, onions, and bacon.
Flammkuchen vs. Pizza
Although Flammkuchen is often referred to as an Alsatian pizza, there are a few key differences between the two dishes. The dough for Flammkuchen is made with a higher proportion of water, making it thinner and crispier than traditional pizza dough. Additionally, Flammkuchen is usually topped with a smaller amount of ingredients, allowing the flavors to shine through.
A. For the Dough
- All-purpose flour
B. For the Toppings
- Crème fraîche
- Gruyère cheese
- Caramelized onions
- Bacon (lardons)
C. Optional Toppings
- Smoked salmon
- Cherry tomatoes
How to Make Flammkuchen
- Make the Dough: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, yeast, and water until a dough forms. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until smooth and elastic, then cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Caramelize the Onions: While the dough is rising, thinly slice the onions and caramelize them in a pan over low heat with a bit of olive oil. This will take around 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Roll Out the Dough: On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin, circular shape. The dough should be around 1/16 inch thick.
- Assemble the Toppings: Spread a thin layer of crème fraîche on top of the dough, leaving a small border around the edges. Sprinkle Gruyère cheese and caramelized onions on top, and add the lardons or other toppings of your choice.
- Bake the Flammkuchen: Transfer the Flammkuchen to a baking sheet or pizza stone, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted.
Tips for the Perfect Flammkuchen
- Use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor.
- Roll out the dough as thin as possible for a crispy crust.
- Don’t overload the Flammkuchen with toppings, as this will affect the texture of the crust.
Variations of Flammkuchen
- Classic: The traditional Flammkuchen is made with crème fraîche, Gruyère cheese, caramelized onions, and lardons.
- Salmon: Add thin slices of smoked salmon on top of the Flammkuchen for a delicious twist.
- Tomato and Arugula: Top the Flammkuchen with cherry tomatoes and a handful of arugula for a fresh and healthy option.
Serve the Flammkuchen hot and fresh from the oven, with a green salad on the side.
Flammkuchen is a delicious and simple dish that can be made with a variety of toppings. Whether you prefer the classic version or want to try something new, this traditional Alsatian dish is sure to be a hit. So, go ahead and give this easy Flammkuchen recipe a try, and enjoy a taste of the Alsace region in your own home.
Looks so good!!! The two cheeses with caramelized onions and bacon make a mouth-watering pizza!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you so much for your kind words! I’m thrilled that you find the flammkuchen recipe appetizing. The combination of the two cheeses, caramelized onions, and bacon does indeed create a flavor explosion that is hard to resist. I hope you give the recipe a try and enjoy it as much as I do! Let me know if you have any questions or if there’s anything I can do to help you along the way. Happy cooking!