Indulge in the classic dessert with this easy-to-follow Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe. Sweet and tart flavors, flaky crust, and a fluffy meringue topping. Get the recipe now!
Introduction Lemon Meringue Pie is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. This sweet and tart pie features a flaky crust, creamy lemon filling, and a fluffy meringue topping. Making Lemon Meringue Pie at home is a fun and rewarding experience, and it allows you to customize the flavors and ingredients to suit your taste preferences.
For the Crust
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ice water
For the Lemon Filling
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Meringue Topping
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
Prepare the Crust
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the chilled, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1/4 inch thick and transfer it to a 9-inch pie dish. Trim the edges and crimp as desired.
Prepare the Lemon Filling
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Stir in the water and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks. Gradually add a small amount of the hot sugar mixture to the egg yolks, whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining sugar mixture and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the lemon juice, lemon zest, and butter.
- Pour the lemon filling into the prepared crust.
Prepare the Meringue Topping
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the meringue mixture over the lemon filling, spreading it evenly to the edges of the crust.
- Use a spatula to create peaks and valleys in the meringue.
Assemble and Bake the Pie
- Bake the pie in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Serve the Lemon Meringue Pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Store the cooled pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, place a slice of the pie in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for 5-7 minutes, or until heated through.
Lemon Meringue Pie is a delicious and timeless dessert that is sure to impress your family and friends. The balance of sweet and tart flavors, combined with the flaky crust, creamy lemon filling, and fluffy meringue topping, make this pie a true classic. Whether you are a seasoned baker or a beginner, this recipe is easy to follow and will result in a beautiful and delicious pie. So, go ahead and give it a try!
So many great recipes!!! I look forward to trying many of them!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! Adding more every day.