Learn how to make the classic dessert of Boston Cream Pie at home with this easy recipe. A delicious yellow cake, creamy vanilla pudding and rich chocolate glaze make it the perfect treat!
Boston Cream Pie is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. Originating from Boston, this creamy and indulgent treat has become a staple in households all over the world. With its soft yellow cake, creamy vanilla pudding and rich chocolate glaze, it’s no wonder why it’s a popular choice for special occasions and celebrations.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch (23 cm) light-colored cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Gradually add the heavy cream, whisking until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and continue to cook, whisking, for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the pudding into a large bowl and cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill the pudding in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the chocolate, butter and heavy cream over low heat.
- Stir until smooth and well combined.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Once the cake has cooled, slice it horizontally in half to create two layers.
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a serving plate.
- Spoon the chilled pudding over the cake layer.
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the pudding.
- Pour the cooled chocolate glaze over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the glaze to set.
Serving & Storing
- Serve the Boston Cream Pie chilled, garnished with fresh fruit or whipped cream if desired.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.
And there you have it, a delicious and classic Boston Cream Pie! The combination of the soft yellow cake, creamy vanilla pudding and rich chocolate glaze make it the perfect treat for any special occasion. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply