Discover a simple and healthy coleslaw recipe made with fresh cabbage, carrots, mayo, and vinegar. Perfect for outdoor events or as a side dish.
Coleslaw is a popular side dish that is enjoyed by many people all over the world. It is a mix of shredded cabbage and carrots dressed in a mixture of mayonnaise and vinegar. Coleslaw is a healthy dish that is low in calories and high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. In this recipe, we will use fresh ingredients to create a delicious coleslaw that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish.
- 1 medium head of green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For a healthier option, you can substitute the mayonnaise with Greek yogurt or sour cream. The sugar can also be replaced with a sugar substitute or honey.
- Shred the cabbage and grate the carrots.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded cabbage and grated carrots together.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded cabbage and grated carrots.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and mix well to ensure all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Give the coleslaw a quick mix before serving.
Tips for best results
- To reduce the moisture in the coleslaw, pat the shredded cabbage and grated carrots with a paper towel before mixing with the dressing.
- You can add other ingredients to the coleslaw, such as diced apples, raisins, or sunflower seeds, for added texture and flavor.
- If you prefer a creamier coleslaw, add more mayonnaise to the dressing. If you prefer a tangier coleslaw, add more vinegar to the dressing.
- It is best to refrigerate the coleslaw for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld, but you can also refrigerate it overnight for even more flavor.
Coleslaw can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Main course: Serve coleslaw as a main course with grilled chicken or fish.
- Side dish: Serve coleslaw as a side dish to burgers, hot dogs, or sandwiches.
- Outdoor events: Coleslaw is a popular dish at outdoor events such as barbecues, picnics, and potlucks.
In conclusion, coleslaw is a delicious and healthy dish that is quick and easy to prepare. It is made with fresh ingredients such as cabbage, carrots, mayonnaise, and vinegar and is packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This recipe is simple and versatile and can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. We encourage you to try this recipe and enjoy a delicious and healthy meal.
Leave a Reply