Indulge in the sweet and juicy taste of blueberries with this step-by-step guide to making the best blueberry pie ever. Perfect for dessert!
Blueberry pie is a classic dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. Made with fresh, juicy blueberries and a flaky pie crust, it is the perfect treat for any special occasion. In this recipe, we will show you how to make a delicious blueberry pie from scratch.
- 2 pie crusts (store-bought or homemade)
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling (optional)
For this recipe, you can either use store-bought pie crusts or make your own. Here is a simple recipe for a classic pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 4-6 tablespoons ice water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Add the diced butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to use, remove the dough from the refrigerator and let it sit for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one half of the dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Carefully transfer the rolled-out dough to a 9-inch pie dish and trim the edges, leaving a 1-inch overhang.
- Repeat the rolling and transfer process with the second half of the dough.
To make the blueberry filling, simply follow these steps:
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the blueberries and stir until the blueberries are coated.
- Pour the blueberry mixture into the prepared pie crust.
- Dot the top of the blueberries with the unsalted butter.
- Place the second pie crust on top of the blueberries, trimming the edges and crimping them to seal.
- Cut several slits into the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the top crust with the beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
Baking the Pie
Baking the pie is simple, just follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and place it in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and continue baking for another 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
The pie can be served warm or at room temperature, with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. To store leftovers, cover the pie and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This classic blueberry pie recipe is the perfect dessert for any occasion. With its flaky crust and sweet and juicy filling, it is sure to impress your family and friends. So, gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to bake the ultimate blueberry pie!
Leave a Reply