Indulge in the ultimate comfort food with this delicious Southern Fried Chicken recipe. Learn how to achieve the perfect crispiness and keep the chicken moist.
Southern Fried Chicken is a staple of Southern cuisine and a comfort food beloved by many. It is made by marinating chicken pieces in a mixture of buttermilk, seasonings, and flour, before being deep-fried to a golden crisp. The use of buttermilk in the marinade not only adds flavor but also helps to tenderize the chicken. Marinating the chicken for at least 24 hours before frying results in a more flavorful and juicy finished product.
- 4 lbs of chicken pieces (legs, thighs, and breasts)
- 2 cups of buttermilk
- 2 tsp of hot sauce
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- Oil for frying
- buttermilk can be substituted with yogurt mixed with lemon juice
- hot sauce can be substituted with cayenne pepper
- all-purpose flour can be substituted with self-rising flour
- In a large bowl, mix together the buttermilk, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade, making sure each piece is well coated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 24 hours, but preferably 48 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before coating it with flour.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge each chicken piece in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or a large pot to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place the chicken pieces into the hot oil and fry for 10-12 minutes for thighs and drumettes and 12-15 minutes for legs and breasts, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (74°C) and the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the oil and drain on a wire rack or paper towel to remove any excess oil.
Southern Fried Chicken is best served hot and crispy, and pairs well with classic Southern sides such as coleslaw, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese. For added flavor, top with chopped fresh herbs or a sprinkle of your favorite hot sauce.
Southern Fried Chicken is a beloved comfort food that brings together the perfect balance of crispy exterior and juicy interior. By marinating the chicken in buttermilk and seasoning, this recipe will result in a delicious and authentic Southern-style fried chicken. Experiment with different seasonings and sides to make it your own.
Leave a Reply