Learn how to make the classic Indian Chana Masala with chickpeas and spices. A delicious vegetarian dish for all occasions.
Vegetarian Chana Masala is a flavorful and comforting dish that is a staple in Indian cuisine. This dish features tender chickpeas simmered in a rich and spicy tomato-based sauce made with a blend of spices such as cumin, coriander, and garam masala. It is typically served over rice or with naan bread and garnished with fresh cilantro.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, add the soaked chickpeas and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 1 hour or until chickpeas are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the cumin, coriander, garam masala, and turmeric and sauté for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and water to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas to the pan and stir to combine. Simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice or with naan bread and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Chana Masala is a delicious and flavorful dish that is easy to make at home. With its combination of chickpeas, spices, and aromatic ingredients, it is a satisfying meal that is perfect for vegetarians. Whether you are a fan of Indian cuisine or are looking to try something new, Chana Masala is a dish that is sure to impress.
Leave a Reply