Warm up with this comforting beetroot soup. Our vegetarian borscht recipe is easy to make and packed with nutrients.
Borscht is a traditional soup that originates from Eastern Europe and is commonly made with beetroot as the main ingredient. Beetroot is delicious and packed with nutrients, making this soup a healthy and comforting option for a winter meal. In this recipe, we will be sharing a vegetarian version of borscht that is easy to make and perfect for those looking for a meat-free option.
- 4 medium beetroots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sour cream and fresh dill, for serving (optional)
Variations and Substitutions:
- You can also add other vegetables such as carrots, celery, and cabbage to the soup for added nutrition and flavor.
- If you’re not a fan of sour cream, you can also serve the soup with a dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the diced potatoes and beetroots to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and water. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer the soup for about 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, with a dollop of sour cream and fresh dill on top, if desired.
Serving and storage:
- This soup is perfect to serve as a main course or as a side dish.
- You can store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This recipe for vegetarian borscht is a delicious and healthy option for a winter meal. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your taste with the addition of other vegetables or alternative toppings. It’s comforting and packed with nutrients. And it’s a great way to enjoy the health benefits of beetroot. Give it a try!
Leave a Reply