Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie is a meatless version of the traditional British dish that typically features a ground meat filling and a mashed potato topping. The vegetarian version of this dish is made with a filling of mixed vegetables, such as peas, carrots, and corn, and a mashed potato topping. It is a hearty, comforting, and delicious dish that can be enjoyed by vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup corn
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and add the milk and butter. Mash until smooth.
- In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the peas, carrots, and corn, and cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the vegetables to a baking dish.
- Spread the mashed potatoes over the vegetables.
- If desired, sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply