Himmel und Erde, also known as “Heaven and Earth,” is a traditional German dish made with a combination of mashed potatoes and apples. The dish gets its name from the combination of the earthy potatoes and the sweet, heavenly apples.
- 1 lb. potatoes
- 1 lb. apples
- 1 onion
- 2-3 slices of bacon
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: parsley for garnish
- Peel and chop the potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, peel, core, and chop the apples.
- In a separate pan, fry the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the apples to the pan and sauté until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and mash them with a potato masher or fork.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with the apple and onion mixture.
- Crumble the bacon and mix it into the potato and apple mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as a side dish and garnish with parsley if desired.
Leave a Reply