Eggplant Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that is made by breading and frying slices of eggplant, then layering them with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese, and baking it until the cheese is golden and bubbly. This dish is often served as a main course but can also be served as a side dish, and it is a great option for vegetarians and vegans.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the eggplants into 1/4-inch rounds.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.
- In another shallow dish, beat the eggs.
- In a third shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- Dip each eggplant slice in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the eggplant slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Place a layer of eggplant slices on top of the sauce, then spoon more sauce over the eggplant slices.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the eggplant slices and sauce.
- Repeat the layering process until all of the eggplant slices, sauce, and cheese have been used.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
Leave a Reply