Vegetarian chili is a hearty and flavorful dish that is perfect for a cold day. It is made with a combination of vegetables, beans, and spices, simmered in a rich tomato-based broth. This dish is a great option for vegetarians and vegans as it is packed with protein and fiber from the beans and vegetables.
The vegetables, such as onions, bell peppers, and corn, are sautéed in oil until softened. Then, various beans like kidney, black, or pinto beans are added along with diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and a blend of spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika. The chili is then simmered for about 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. It can be garnished with cheese, sour cream, or avocado and served with rice, tortilla chips, or bread.
Here is a recipe for Vegetarian Chili:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and sauté until softened.
- Add the corn, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to low and let it cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve the chili in bowls and garnish with your desired toppings.
- Enjoy with rice, tortilla chips or bread.
Leave a Reply