Spinach and feta stuffed portobello mushrooms are a delicious and easy way to enjoy mushrooms in a new way. The portobello mushrooms are first cleaned, stems removed and gills scraped off, then are filled with a mixture of spinach, feta cheese, and herbs. The stuffed mushrooms are then baked in the oven until tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly. The dish can be served as a side dish or as a main course with a salad or grain.
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: lemon juice, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping them with a damp cloth and removing the stems. Use a spoon to scrape off the gills from the inside of the mushrooms.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the spinach and sauté until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, mix together the spinach mixture, feta cheese, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Stuff the mushroom caps with the spinach mixture and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve warm with a squeeze of lemon juice if desired.
Leave a Reply