Kartoffelsalat, also known as German Potato Salad, is a traditional German dish made with boiled potatoes, bacon, onions, and a flavorful dressing. This dish is often served as a side dish or as a light main course, and it’s a great way to use leftover boiled potatoes. It’s a classic comfort food that can be enjoyed all year round, but it’s particularly popular during summer.
Here is a recipe for Kartoffelsalat:
- 2 lbs of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, add the potatoes and enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes or until they are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
- In a large skillet, cook the diced bacon over medium heat until crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the diced onion to the skillet and sauté until softened.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the cooled potatoes into small chunks and place them in a large mixing
- bowl. 8. Add the sautéed onions and bacon to the potatoes and toss to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and toss to coat evenly.
- Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve cold or at room temperature, and enjoy!
Leave a Reply