Polpette di Melanzane, also known as eggplant meatballs, is a traditional dish from the southern Italian region of Calabria. It is a dish made of eggplant that is grated, mixed with breadcrumbs, eggs, and Parmesan cheese, and then shaped into small balls that are fried in oil until golden brown and crispy. The eggplant meatballs are a popular appetizer or side dish and can be served with marinara sauce or aioli.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Peel the eggplant and grate it on a box grater.
- Place the grated eggplant in a colander, sprinkle it with salt and let it sit for about 30 minutes to release excess water.
- Rinse the eggplant and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, egg, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well until the ingredients are combined, and you can shape the mixture into balls.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Carefully drop the eggplant balls into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the eggplant balls from the oil and drain them on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve the eggplant meatballs while they are still hot, with marinara sauce or aioli as a dip.
Leave a Reply