Spaghetti alle Vongole, also known as spaghetti with clams, is a traditional Italian pasta dish made with spaghetti, clams, garlic, olive oil, and white wine. The dish is typically made with small, tender clams, such as littleneck or cherrystone clams, and is known for its delicate and flavorful sauce.
- 1 pound spaghetti
- 2 pounds fresh clams, cleaned and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to package instructions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the clams and white wine to the skillet. Cover the skillet and cook until the clams open, about 5-7 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Drain the spaghetti and add it to the skillet with the clams. Toss to coat the pasta with the sauce. Add some of the reserved pasta cooking water if the sauce is too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the pasta among serving plates, and top with the clams and their juices.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.