Pasta e Fagioli is a classic Italian dish that translates to “pasta and beans.” It is a hearty and comforting soup made with a combination of pasta, beans, and vegetables, simmered in a flavorful tomato-based broth. The dish is typically made with cannellini or borlotti beans and can include various types of pasta, such as ditalini, macaroni, or spaghetti, broken into small pieces.
- 1 cup cannellini or borlotti beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup ditalini or other small pasta
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley or basil for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery and cook until softened.
- Add the beans, diced tomatoes, and broth to the pot. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Add the pasta to the pot and cook for another 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with fresh parsley or basil.
- Serve with some crusty bread to soak up the flavorful broth.
Leave a Reply