Caffè del Nonno is a traditional Italian dessert that translates to “Grandfather’s Coffee.” It is a creamy and rich coffee-flavored custard, topped with a layer of whipped cream and dusted with cocoa powder. The dessert is typically served in small cups or glasses and is a perfect finish to a special meal.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, and instant coffee over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and cornstarch together.
- Slowly pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent the eggs from scrambling.
- Pour the custard mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the custard from the heat and transfer it to a bowl. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate the custard for at least 2 hours or until it is chilled and set.
- In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon the chilled custard into small cups or glasses, and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Dust the tops of the desserts with cocoa powder.
Leave a Reply