Pesto alla Sarda is a traditional Sardinian sauce made from a unique blend of ingredients: fresh basil, toasted breadcrumbs, grated pecorino cheese, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil. Unlike the traditional pesto from Liguria, which is made with pine nuts, Pesto alla Sarda is made with toasted breadcrumbs, giving the sauce a unique texture and flavor.
- 2 cups of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup of grated pecorino cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, combine the basil leaves, breadcrumbs, pecorino cheese, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Pulse until everything is well combined.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to pulse the ingredients until the mixture forms a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Use the Pesto alla Sarda as a condiment for pasta, fish, and meat or as a spread for sandwiches.
Pesto alla Sarda is typically paired with pasta, such as malloreddus or spaghetti, but it can also be used as a spread for sandwiches or as a condiment for fish and meat dishes.
Leave a Reply