Fregola con Arselle is a traditional Sardinian pasta dish made with fregola, a type of toasted semolina pasta, and arselle, small clams. The dish is typically seasoned with garlic, olive oil, and parsley and sometimes includes other ingredients like tomatoes, white wine, or pancetta.
- 1 lb fregola
- 2 lbs arselle (small clams)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse the arselle well in several changes of cold water and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tsp of salt. Add the fregola and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Drain the fregola, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the arselle and white wine (if using) to the skillet and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the clams have opened. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add the cooked fregola and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water to the skillet with the arselle and toss to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes more to allow the flavors to meld.
- Season the fregola con arselle with salt and pepper to taste and top with chopped parsley before serving.
Leave a Reply