Bistecca alla Fiorentina is a traditional Tuscan dish that features a large, thick cut of beef, typically cut from the T-bone or porterhouse steak. It is typically grilled over hot coals and seasoned with salt and pepper. The steak is typically cooked from rare to medium rare and is often served with a simple side of olive oil, lemon juice, and rosemary. Roasted potatoes or vegetables usually accompany the dish. It’s a traditional dish that’s usually cooked and served on special occasions and is well known for its rich, hearty, and flavorful taste.
- 4 T-bone or Porterhouse steaks, about 1-1.5 inches thick (about 2-3 pounds total)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil for brushing
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature for about 1 hour before cooking.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Season the steaks generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Brush the steaks with olive oil and place them on the grill.
- Grill the steaks for about 3-4 minutes per side for rare or longer for your desired level of doneness.
- While the steaks are grilling, brush the rosemary sprigs with olive oil.
- Once the steaks are cooked to your liking, remove them from the grill and let them rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Grill the rosemary for about a minute or so until fragrant, then remove them from the grill.
- To serve, slice the steaks against the grain and arrange them on a platter.
- Drizzle with some olive oil and squeeze lemon wedges over the steak.
- Garnish with the grilled rosemary sprigs and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply