Pasticcio di Maccheroni, also known as Macaroni Pie, features macaroni pasta as the main ingredient. It is a baked pasta dish similar to lasagna, made with layers of cooked macaroni, meat or vegetables, béchamel sauce, and grated cheese. Pasticcio di Maccheroni is usually made with beef or pork but can also be made with vegetables such as eggplant or spinach. The dish is typically served as a main course and is a comforting and hearty dish, perfect for cold weather. Pasticcio di Maccheroni is a great way to use leftovers, and it can be made ahead of time and reheated for a quick and easy meal.
- 1 pound of macaroni
- 2 cups of béchamel sauce
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of meat sauce (ground beef or sausage)
- 1/2 cup of peas (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni in a pot of boiling salted water for about 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, prepare the béchamel sauce by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for a couple of minutes. Gradually add milk while continuing to whisk until the mixture thickens. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In a separate pan, cook the meat sauce (ground beef or sausage) over medium heat until it’s browned. Add in peas if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C).
- In a baking dish, add a layer of macaroni, then a layer of béchamel sauce, then a layer of meat sauce, then a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used up.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving.
Leave a Reply